The City Agriculturist Office of Davao was established as one of the departments created by the City Government of Davao focusing on agricultural services. It envisions the agriculture sector to be dynamic and have cohesive communities, self- reliant and empowered farmer entrepreneurs committed to sustainable growth and development in alleviating the plight of marginal farmers, fisherfolks and rural-based entities of the city. It seeks to transform them into socially and economically progressive members of society by setting up a favorable scenario/s <a href=”https://mmjdoctoronline.com/esa”>emotional support animal letter</a> towards sustainable agricultural development within the context of a balanced ecology.
Motivated and competent government professionals and partners guided by the value of care for the environment, working harmoniously towards an empowered agri-fishery sector of Davao.
The City Agriculturist Office commits to pursue sustainable agri-fishery development for self-reliant rural and coastal communities by providing quality and relevant programs and services.
Our Goals and Objectives
DEVELOPMENT GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Initiate and provide access to agricultural and fishery programs and projects that will improve the quality of life of clients;
- Develop agri-fishery entrepreneurs;
- Strengthen farming systems that maintains bio-diversity;
- Provide institutional development support to clients;
- Empower farmers and agri-clientele through a dynamic information and technology access.
- Enhance competencies of personnel in the delivery of services.
The City Agriculturist Office then…
The City Government of Davao was inaugurated in 1937 after the enactment of the Commonwealth Act No. 51 (Davao City Charter of 1937). Offices were created for its operations and services then. The said charter was revised and enacted by Congress in 1965 (R.A. 4354 – The revised City Charter of Davao) giving way to the creation of more departments/offices, divisions, sections and units with wider scope of functions, operations and services for the fast growing City of Davao.
The City Agriculturist Office on the other hand was established in the late 1960’s. It was first headed by Mr. Pablo Piatos. When the Local Government Code of 1991 (Republic Act no. 7160) and the Executive Order No. 507 was issued, functions of the Department of Agriculture was devolved to the Local Government Unit (LGU) of Davao City along with 153 personnel. Thus the creation of the City Agriculturist Office. The Office was then headed by Mr. Dionisio A. Bangkas during that time.
City Agriculturist Office now..
Upon the reelection of Mayor Sara Duterte,A�more vibrant, young and dynamic personalities led the helm. Mr. Leo Brian D. Leuterio, assumed office as Officer-in-Charge of the City Agriculturist Office on July 25, 2016. Change came indeed with his leadership and skills trailblazing the agriculture sector towards agricultural productivity and continuous improvement.
Mr. Leonardo R. Avila III, a former city Councilor of the first congressional district of the City who assumed office last July 2010. Fresh ideas of management and service delivery schemes trickled down to its satellite district offices’ and the direct clientele of the agriculture sector in the barangay level; For a fresh start, the office reviewed its mandate and functions, vision, mission and objectives as an offshoot of the Strategic Planning sessions conducted in the last quarter of 2010.
This is in cognizance with the trends in globalization and modernization of agriculture and fisheries and in parallel with R.A. 8435 known as the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act of 1997 (AFMA) along with the pressing needs of agri-clientele and stakeholders in enhancing accessibility, availability, affordability and quality of food supplies and profitability in production hence, the implementation of the Strategic Agriculture and Fisheries Development Zone (SAFDZ) to ensure equitable access to assets, resources and services which promote high value crops and fishery production, value-adding, processing, agri-fishery business activities, agri-forestry and agri-industrialization.
In response to the mandate, the office strengthened its functions and complemented its manpower capability through the revised organizational structure.
The office has 161 plantilla personnel and 134 Job-orders deployed at the main and District Offices.
Who We Are
What We Do
- Provides over-all directions and supervision of agricultural program planning, services and implementation and manpower administration;
- Develops plans and strategies in the administration of effective programs;
- Provides technical supervision and assistance to field implementors and evaluate/recommend appropriate actions intensify services and provides corrective measure to improve services;
- Maintains & supervises seedbank, clonal farm, plant nurseries, fingerling hatcheries, bio-control agents production
- Conducts on site agri-fishery researches; establishes techno-demo trials on crops and fisheries;
- Proposes, reviews and assesses program/projects on aquaculture production, municipal fishery and regulatory services;
- Implements fishery, laws, rules and in coordination with law enforcement agencies and deputized community-based fishery law enforcers;
- Implement agri-fishery programs/projects in the district and barangay level;
- Organizes/maintains institutional organiztions such as farmers, fisherfolks RIC’s, 4-H clubs, councils and enhance organizational capability and develop entrepreneurial skills;
- Implements other special projects such as Plant Now Pay Later (PNPL); Gulayan sa Barangay, establishment of barangay plant nurseries, and agripinoy projects;
- Establish Farmers Information & Technology Services (FITS) Center;
- Conduct Technology promotion activities through multi-media, internet and short messages;
- Coordinates with other concern agencies in the implementation of agri-fishery programs/projects;
- Conducts official celebration such as: Farmers/Fisherfolks Month; Pantatan Festival Celebration; Fish Conservation Week, Nutrition Month and Organic Day.